January 25, 2009





Anywhere I'm gonna lay my head, I'm gonna call my home.

Reykjavík is a beautiful town. I've been here about three weeks now and I don't regret coming here at all. Working at Hitt Húsið is fun, I got introduced to everything and everyone and they have been really kind to me. I put up shows, manage a galery and organize summer festivals about art and culture. The work itself is exciting and acually pretty relaxing. I share a flat with Eva from Austria and there is Mickael from Paris moving in next week as well. They are wonderful people, I am happy I have them and others around

I even have a balcony. A beautiful view. The city and the mountans and the sea. I've seen the Geysir and Gullfoss. The landscapes are stunning. I feel good here. Though I haven't really settled down yet, I feel this town is a good place to be. As soon as I am able I will post some pictures here.I already posted some on my Flickr about the demonstrations going on here right now (it's really exciting, new elections soon and everything). I must admit the photograph above was taken in Sweden in March 2008. Iceland is even more beautiful, it's not even that cold than I expected. But windy, superwindy

I have to say I miss Berlin and Kassel, my friends and my family, my dog, my guitar and the piano too. And I hope they are all doing well. Be patient please, more soon


We are only broke on money. An addition from January 27th




The premier minister Geir Haarde recently resigned, as well as the minister for business affairs. The icelandic goverment now officially broke up. I am not really that clever when it comes to politics, exspecially not when it comes to the politics of a country I've known only for three weeks. But when you have hundreds of people demonstrating on Parlament Square all day every minute just two streets away from your office, you can't ignore that there is something going on. (First of all I might have to say that the act of protesting is really superunusual for Iceland. It never really happened - except last year when it all started - since the 40's)



The protests started on Tuesday, January 20th. It was huge. I took a break for coffee and a cigarette to walk over and have a look. The crowd was wide spread around the Parlament building. Protest signs facing dozens of police and security men. I felt weird in that crowd that afternoon. I still don't know every detail. You hear various opinions about that everywhere. But I think I am getting the picture. So I was standing there in this peaceful-screaming mess of students, mothers, unemployed factory workers and very talented well-known musicians. I wasn't actually a part of this. Just a quiet observer trying to understand. As my coffee went cold - and I ran out of cigarettes anyway - I when back to my office. Later that day after work we joined that yelling crowd again. They set up a big fire in the middle of Parlament Square and were still drumming their pots with spoons. It felt important



Something is happening here. It's the first time ever a country broke up on a financial crisis and now it's getting political as well. So the resignment is official. I guess that is what the people wanted in the first place. The minister, Bjorgvin Sigurdsson, said the government had failed to restore confidence in the three months since the financial crisis began in October. There will be new elections for May, but who knows what is up for the time inbetween. I still like to take my place as that quiet observer while I am watching out my office window having a look at that pretty girl that is working at Landisbakinn on the other side of the road. As I said, I am not really that much into icelandic politics (not yet!). Check the news for serious official updates


Demonstration on Parlament Square on Tuesday evening, January 20th

5 comments:

markyparki said...

sieht nett aus da, malti. viel spaß noch und grüß fräuein langstrumpf!

maltecornelius said...

Pipi Langstrumpf kommt aus Schweden, Mark!

markyparki said...

Verdammt. Sags nicht weiter... Wer kommt den aus Island? Wickie?

Anonymous said...

ekki

maltecornelius said...

Eva!